January 6th 2014
This year is different.
It’s a handful a years in front of where you used to be.
And a handful behind
Where you’re going.
And it’s something you don’t entirely think about – As you kiss from one year to the next – Because in all reality
And a “Happy New Year!” later
Your life is the same.
It’s exactly the same.
But it wasn’t always this way.
And probably never will be again.
And that’s absolutely the best part.
I started thinking about this the other day after following this Twitter Account “History In Pictures” It’s absolutely incredible and absolutely enlightening. And the thing that intrigued me the most about this hidden gem was the infinite portraits of people and things.
All types of them.
Some that we know.
And some that we don’t.
But all that remind us that things aren’t like they used to be. And it kind of makes you feel strange because you wondered when that ever happened. But then it also makes you feel kind of grand because you realize how damn far we’ve come. And how this year is just another necessary building block for some things – and a trophy of greatness for others.
And here’s what I mean:
23 Pictures That Will Make You Look At This Year Differently
1.This picture of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates discussing the PC’s future in Jobs’ Palo Alto home in 1991
2. New Years Eve in New York City in 1973
3. Bill Cosby when he played fullback in college for the Temple Owls
4. This Photo Of A Young Bill Clinton
5. The Photo Evidence Of The Marilyn and JFK Scandal
6. The Beatles walking back the other way after crossing Abbey Road
7. Sneaking a kiss through the Berlin Wall
8. Barrack Obama 1977
9. J.D. Salinger working on ‘The Catcher in the Rye’ during WWII.
10. 20 years ago, the Netscape Navigator 1.0 web browser was released.
11. 1994 vs. 2014 technology
12. 1974 New York Pride: Parents Come Out in Support
13. One of the first known selfies ever taken
14.The Teletubbie Sun girl; then and now
15. The models for “American Gothic”
16. Elijah Wood & Leonardo DiCaprio at the Academy Awards in 1994
17. Einstein and his therapist
18. The greatest mustache in the world in 1977, 157 cm long
19.This is the 1983 Apple prototype, the first iPhone
20. Pulp Fiction Set Photo
21. Yearbook pictures of rock and metal icons.
22. Steven Spielberg and Drew Barrymore at the set of E.T.
23. A message from MLK to anyone who says 2014 won’t be your damn year
And there you have it. 23 photos that will make you think about this year. And then make you think about it again. Just a little bit differently. We’ve come a long way. And we’ve got a long way to go. But we’re gonna do the damn thing together. And it’s going to be great.
This year you’ll take hundreds and thousands of photos you’ll look back on 5, 10, 15 years from now. And find yourself saying “remember when”, “remember who”, “remember that” with a smile on your face and worthwhile nostalgia. New inventions will be made. Epic events will happen. Things will change. And the great will remain the same. And the best part about all of it is that:
It’s all a damn surprise.